Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kooking in the Kitchen with Kayla Part II

Kayla's arm has now gone from cast to brace!!  We are so thankful that God healed her quick!  The Dr. originally said she would need to wear a cast for 3 months, but after 6 weeks the fractured bone had healed so well, she was put into a brace.  Now Kayla can take off the brace to scratch her arm and take a shower without extra help.

Kayla also keeps asking me to help cook!!  I love that!!  I have always loved to cook and to see her wanting to cook excites me!!

Over the Memorial weekend, Jeff asked that we make Chicken Brunswick Stew.  That was fine with me, because this is a one-pot recipe and Kayla can make it.

I got this recipe off of my once long ago neighbor that I used to babysit.  Now she is all grown and has a beautiful family of her own.

Sara, over at My Merry Messy Life, posted this recipe on her blog a while back and I made it for my family.  It has become one of those recipes that not only I love, but it is requested by my husband, my kids, and my mom.  (I always run her a BIG bowl next door).

Ingredients for Chicken Brunswick Stew




 Ingredients: (This recipe was copied from My Merry Messy Life)

1 lb. chicken breasts (fresh or thawed, both work the same)
1-2 cups of frozen lima beans (eyeball it - to your liking)
1/2 barbecue sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 cans cream corn (14 oz cans)
1 can corn (or a couple of handfuls of frozen corn)
Couple of glugs of Worcestershire sauce to your taste (this is the secret ingredient to make it super tasty!)
1/2 cup hot sauce (if you're brave, and I am not, so I don't do it, but my mom does!)

Have fun dumping all the ingredients into your Crock Pot, but put the chicken in first on the bottom. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5. You'll know it's finished when the chicken easily shreds apart  by mashing it with a fork. Turn off the Crock Pot and wait 15 minutes or so for it to cool down.

I did go ahead and use the whole bag of limas, because I love them :).

We started the stew pretty early so it would cook for most of the day.

Kayla pouring in the vegetables (I placed the chicken in the crock pot)


Once the stew was all in the pot and cooking, Kayla wanted to make dessert.  I let her pick what she wanted to make and she chose chocolate chip cookies.  I do not let my kids use the stove-top oven, but I will let them use the GE Advantium Over-the-Range Oven (supervised, see post here)  

Before we made the cookies, Kayla took a stick of butter out of the freezer and placed it the Advantium and selected the micorwave - Pre-Set -  Soften - Butter.


From the GE
Over the Range Oven Advantium User Manual




The Soften Butter


Mixed Ingredients prepared as directed

We dropped spoon fulls of cookie dough on the Speedcook Tray and we baked two batches of cookies two ways.

First we used the Speedcook option:  Select Speedcook -> Desserts -> Cookies.  Simple enough. You will need to choose the amount of cookies and then START.

From the GE Advantium Over the Range Oven User Manual





The next way we baked the second batch of cookies was by using the Convection Bake option.

We dropped the dough on the on the Speedcook Tray and put it in the oven.  We selected CONV BAKE  and turn the knob to the cooking temperature.  We shut the door and pressed START.



Ta-da!!! Two perfectly baked batches of cookies!!  It is that easy!!

*** Kayla did have help removing the Speedcook Tray from the oven, it was hot!!!

One worry I do not have anymore!  Getting burned by the oven door when trying to remove the food!!!!   Thank you GE!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This needs to be made at Indian Springs this year!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so yummy!! I'm your newest follower via the Meet & Tweet!
    -Anna
    asweetsouthernmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete