Monday, May 14, 2012

Travel Blackboard Mat

I am always looking around the internet/pinterest to find things to make.  I mean, I already have a list of sewing projects laying at my desk to do, so why not add more?!?!

One of the cutest ideas I have seen is the blackboard mat. 

Here are a few I have found on some of the blogs I follow:


 Both of the sites are loaded with pictures and details on putting a travel blackboard mat together.  

I did mine a little different and this is how I put mine together.
Travel Blackboard Mat   




 1. First I cut Blackboard and Cotton Fabric to 10 x 15.  I figured that would be a nice size rectangle.
Fabric from Joann Fabric and Crafts
Blackboard Fabric from Joann Fabric and Crafts
2.  After the fabric is cut, I hooped my monster fabric and embroidered my nephews name at the bottom of the long side.  For the next one I am making for my nephew Jack, I will embroider his name on one of the shorter sides so you can see it when it is rolled up! 





 3.  I cut a 4 x 10 piece of clear vinyl to make the pockets.  On one long side I sewed a piece of bias tape to cover the raw edge.  Then lined the vinyl along one end of the rectangle and sewed a straight line up the middle, attaching the vinyl to the blackboard fabric.  This will give you two pockets for chalk and eraser.

Vinyl Pocket

4. With clips, I placed the monster fabric and blackboard board fabric wrong sides together.  I added a folded ribbon under the tape for the tie.   Using clips, I lined the bias tape around the mat, using this tutorial Sew To Speak: How To: Attach bias tape (with mitered corners) to miter the corners. 

All done!!



 5. With the sun in Kayla's eye, I had her prime the blackboard with chalk and then cut a square of  terry cloth.



My Biggest Helper

Travel Blackboard Mat     




 Now to make my next one!!



17 comments:

  1. HOW FREEKEN CUTE IS THAT! What a fun idea!!! you could totally sell those what a great car ride idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - never seen these before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! They were so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter looks JUST like you. Gorgeous. Hope you are well.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOH! That is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tara! Thanks for stopping by! Isn't Anna White the greatest! I want to do all of her projects, LOL! Love this travel mat you did! Just became your 101 follower! Yay!

    Take care and hope you'll visit again!
    xo Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea...especially for long car trips and travelling! Although I consider myself a novice sewer, I think this is a great tutorial! Thanks for linking up and sharing with us @ Toot Your Horn Tuesday!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really neat! I saw one on etsy and wondered how it was made. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute tutorial! thanks for the idea :) found your blog via the this little momma link up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out great and the fabric you chose is so stinkin' cute! Thanks for sharing it with us this week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've featured you on my facebook page from the "Toot Your Horn" party. Love this project, would love it if you come grab a featured button!!!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. PERFECT!!!! I love the idea!!! It's a perfect travel companion!!

    Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Very cool! If only I was crafty. I have a sewing machine yet can't sew..

    Hopping by your lovely site from the Friday Blog Hop! I'm super late.. LOL

    Come check us out too! www.sweepstakesmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this!

    Stopping by from the Friday Blog Hop- I'm late =(

    Come check us out: www.Sweepstakesmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to share this post.therapy mat is a very good product.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am always looking around the internet/pinterest to find things to make. Coupontoaster Vouchers

    ReplyDelete